box (18.25 oz) Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Cake Mix Yellow
package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
teaspoons almond extract
lb (16 oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced
tablespoons butter, melted
teaspoons almond extract
cup heavy whipping cream
Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
Mix cake mix, sour cream, eggs, pudding, oil, water, and almond extract with a hand mixer until combined. Pour the batter into cake pans, divided evenly. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes and then gently remove from pans and allow to cool on a wire rack while the almond glaze it prepared.
Mix the glaze ingredients together while the cake cools. Once cake is still warm but has cooled slightly, xxxxx the cake with a large fork or the back of a wooden spoon. Spoon the glaze over the two round cakes letting it sink in. Save about 1/3 or so of the glaze and set aside.
Whip cream with the powdered sugar, using a mixer until soft peaks form.
To assemble the shortcake place one of the glazed cake rounds on a cake stand or large plate. Top with freshly whipped cream and a layer of strawberry slices. Top with the second cake, more whipped cream and arrange more fresh sliced strawberries on top. Next, drizzle the more of the almond glaze over the top and down the sides. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: This can also be made in a 9x13 pan in a single layer.
More About This Recipe
- My birthday is just around the corner and every year since I was a little kid I request strawberry shortcake as my birthday cake of choice. I love strawberries! My mom said that she drank a strawberry shake every day in the hot Arizona summer towards the end of her pregnancy – so I guess it’s an obsession that started in the womb.This Strawberry Shortcake with an Almond Glaze has become my favorite version of my birthday cake.This cake is made easily with a doctored up cake mix that results in a moist, dense cake almost the texture of pound cake. When the cake has just finished baking, holes are poked in the warm cake and drizzled with a sweet almond glaze that sinks down into the cake infusing it with almond goodness all throughout. The cake is then lathered with a thick creamy layer of fresh whipped cream and decorated with sweet sliced strawberries.More almond glaze is drizzled on the top and sides of the cake for a unique twist to the classic strawberry shortcake. The almond flavor is a surprising compliment to the strawberries. Get your fork ready!Taking this to a Get Together?Although the double layer cake is impressive, this cake can also be made in a 9x13-inch pan for easy portability and sharing for parties or gatherings.
- Although the double layer cake is impressive, this cake can also be made in a 9x13-inch pan for easy portability and sharing for parties or gatherings.
- Cakes are an old-fashioned picnic favorite for good reason. Everybody likes cake, and they feed a bunch. Here are a few to try this summer.
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake is an easy dessert to wow your guests with at any BBQ or cookout. Even great for a weeknight sweet treat, with or without a scoop of ice cream.
Strawberries are my most favorite fruit and I can&rsquot get enough of them. When they are in season, I will buy tons and flash freeze them whole for use in smoothies, pies, and many other fruity recipes. Using the fresh strawberries in desserts like this Grilled Strawberry Shortcake or this strawberry mousse dessert cup are my two top favorite ways to eat the red fruit, that is, after just eating them one after another.
Being that it is the last day of #BBQWeek, I wanted to share this delicious version of strawberry shortcake along with the other yummy recipes from the #FestiveFoodies group. Be sure to check out all of the recipes this week, which will all appear at the end of my posts each day.
Recipe tips for making perfect keto strawberry shortcake:
- Fold the diced strawberries into the batter after all other ingredients are combined to prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
- Did you know that you can keep your strawberries fresh longer before eating them!? Try this vinegar hack!
- Feel free to slice your cake and then freeze it for a later date. The cake should last in the freezer for a couple of months if wrapped and sealed tightly.
- works great as a keto sweetener in this recipe! However, feel free to use whichever keto sweetener you prefer, and be sure to check out our Guide to Keto Sweeteners.
Strawberry Shortcake with Almond Glaze
Before I get to the amazing cake…I want to announce the winner of the Gathering of Friends Cookbook set! I am so sorry that I couldn’t post it yesterday as promised. My area was hit by the tornados (I posted a couple of shots here that were just a mile or two from us). My family and home are fine but the phone lines and internet have been out for almost a week. As of late last night we had interenet back up, yeah:) With our recent move to this new .com site some of the entries (comments) from the original post did not all transfer, but I want you to know that they were not lost! I used random.org to come up with the winning number and then I painstakingly counted from the start of the comments on our old blogger site to locate the winner. And the lucky winner is…
I would love these books so much! They are beautful and I know I would use them all the time in preparing gatherings for my family and friends. Thank you for this opportunity sisters! I love love love your site and use it all the time!! Thank you!
Congratulations Carol! Email me at [email protected] with your address and I will get these right out to you! For those of you who did not win, there is still a great special going on at the Gathering Of Friends website of Buy 3 get 1 Free. The perfect offer for a Mothers Day gifts, Birthday gift or even wedding gift. Or pair up with a friend or sister and you can each get two and save a little money while you are at it! These cookbooks really are worth every penny! I love them and would recommend them for anyone:)
And now for another recommendation…this cake is pretty and incredibly delicious, I promise:)
I made this cake for our Easter dinner dessert and it turned out divine! I thought it turned out beautiful and hoped it tasted as good as it looked:) Luckily, I am happy to report it tasted divine! The almond flavor in the cake and glaze was incredible paired with the whipped cream and strawberries! Yum! All our dinner guests loved it and ate every last morsel on their plate! I think this may be the only strawberry shortcake I ever make. It was gorgeous, easy to make and tasted FANTASTIC! Ever since I made it I have been excited to share it with all of you! I think this would make the perfect dessert for a special occasion, like Mothers Day :), or any occasion you want to celebrate someone special!
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 cups whipped heavy cream
Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.